Contributions to the Julia compiler

Denis Li
I am a third year in university that would like to contribute to the Julia compiler. However, I am new to the community and do not know how/what to contribute. I would like to know what parts of the compiler work still needs to worked on. Of course, I do not expect to dig right in. There is a substantial amount of code, and I just want to have a quick glance of where we are. For now, I would like to work on something small and ease my way into understanding more about the codebase. What are some small tasks specifically on the compiler which can help me become more familiar with the code?

Re: Contributions to the Julia compiler

Erik Schnetter
Denis

Welcome!

You would need to be comfortable with using Github, and with building
Julia from source. A suggestion of current "easy" tasks is
<https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/labels/up%20for%20grabs>. You can
also look at the needs-tests or needs-docs labels.

-erik

Erik Schnetter <[hidden email]>

Re: Contributions to the Julia compiler

Isaiah Norton
Hi Denis,

For a high-level overview of some compiler optimizations that are planned or desirable, see:

To get a sense of the organization of the system, and for some suggested tools/steps for debugging, be sure to read the devdocs:

As far as starter-issues, a good way to start is by writing tests, fixing bugs, or implementing small, self-contained features. See the "up for grabs" label linked by Erik, and also the "intro issue" label:

Best,
Isaiah