Deprecation Warning String/AbstractString - Dataframes Package 0.4 rc2

Deprecation Warning String/AbstractString - Dataframes Package 0.4 rc2

bernhard
Hi all

The attached example gives me a warning "Base.String is deprecated, use AbstractString instead"
 under Windows 7, 0.4 RC2.

Is this expected?
Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
Bernhard

df.jld (45K) Download Attachment
dftest.jl (273 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Deprecation Warning String/AbstractString - Dataframes Package 0.4 rc2

Milan Bouchet-Valat
Le vendredi 02 octobre 2015 à 00:45 -0700, bernhard a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> The attached example gives me a warning "Base.String is deprecated,
> use AbstractString instead"
>  under Windows 7, 0.4 RC2.
>
> Is this expected?
> Am I doing something wrong?
Don't worry, deprecation warnings in packages only mean that they
haven't been updated to stop using functions that are planned to be
removed in Julia 0.5. Everything should still work (though sometimes
with a performance penalty).

In the present case, nobody has taken care of cleaning DataFrames for
Julia 0.4 and tagging a new release yet. Keep updating your packages
from time to time, it should happen soon.

Regards

> Thank you
> Bernhard

Re: Deprecation Warning String/AbstractString - Dataframes Package 0.4 rc2

bernhard
Thank you.
I am using DataFrames all over the place and this seems to be the only place where the package is using String somewhere (or the warning is not displayed any further after that).

Am Freitag, 2. Oktober 2015 10:40:45 UTC+2 schrieb Milan Bouchet-Valat:
Le vendredi 02 octobre 2015 à 00:45 -0700, bernhard a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> The attached example gives me a warning "Base.String is deprecated,
> use AbstractString instead"
>  under Windows 7, 0.4 RC2.
>
> Is this expected?
> Am I doing something wrong?
Don't worry, deprecation warnings in packages only mean that they
haven't been updated to stop using functions that are planned to be
removed in Julia 0.5. Everything should still work (though sometimes
with a performance penalty).

In the present case, nobody has taken care of cleaning DataFrames for
Julia 0.4 and tagging a new release yet. Keep updating your packages
from time to time, it should happen soon.

Regards

> Thank you
> Bernhard

Re: Deprecation Warning String/AbstractString - Dataframes Package 0.4 rc2

Patrick Kofod Mogensen
I can see John Myles White has recently (7 days ago) made some deprecation fixes/edits. Have you tried Pkg.checkout("DataFrames") to check out the current master?

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 5:15:34 AM UTC-4, bernhard wrote:
Thank you.
I am using DataFrames all over the place and this seems to be the only place where the package is using String somewhere (or the warning is not displayed any further after that).

Am Freitag, 2. Oktober 2015 10:40:45 UTC+2 schrieb Milan Bouchet-Valat:
Le vendredi 02 octobre 2015 à 00:45 -0700, bernhard a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> The attached example gives me a warning "Base.String is deprecated,
> use AbstractString instead"
>  under Windows 7, 0.4 RC2.
>
> Is this expected?
> Am I doing something wrong?
Don't worry, deprecation warnings in packages only mean that they
haven't been updated to stop using functions that are planned to be
removed in Julia 0.5. Everything should still work (though sometimes
with a performance penalty).

In the present case, nobody has taken care of cleaning DataFrames for
Julia 0.4 and tagging a new release yet. Keep updating your packages
from time to time, it should happen soon.

Regards

> Thank you
> Bernhard

Re: Deprecation Warning String/AbstractString - Dataframes Package 0.4 rc2

bernhard
Thanks for the suggestion.
It is fine for me though if it will eventually be fixed in a regular update (i.e. Pkg.update()) . I do not feel the need to checkout.