Did a "switch" get flipped in v0.4 for more aggressive warnings?

Did a "switch" get flipped in v0.4 for more aggressive warnings?

Randy Zwitch
Between yesterday and today, I started getting a ton of new warnings. Easy to fix, but I thought were handled using Compat.jl. I'm using 0.4.0-rc1+74

INFO: Precompiling module Vega...
WARNING: Base.Nothing is deprecated, use Void instead.
WARNING: Base.String is deprecated, use AbstractString instead.
WARNING: Base.String is deprecated, use AbstractString instead.
WARNING: Base.String is deprecated, use AbstractString instead.
WARNING: Base.Nothing is deprecated, use Void instead.
in maketype at /Users/rzwitc200/.julia/v0.4/Vega/src/jstypes.jl:46
[...]

Re: Did a "switch" get flipped in v0.4 for more aggressive warnings?

Matt Bauman

Yes, this is expected.  Until https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/commit/1b6efc7ab297b7b8aea4d7cb0b52fb589392042b it wasn't possible to deprecate bindings — only deprecated methods would display warnings.  Those types were already "deprecated" but nobody knew since they weren't noisy.  Even String was still occasionally used base Julia.

Now using a deprecated name will also throw warnings.  *Lots* of packages suddenly got lots of warnings like yours. This is a great thing, and will help prevent breakage down the road.

Re: Did a "switch" get flipped in v0.4 for more aggressive warnings?

Randy Zwitch
Thanks, guess it's time to get to work cleaning up my packages!

Yes, this is expected.  Until <a href="https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/commit/1b6efc7ab297b7b8aea4d7cb0b52fb589392042b" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FJuliaLang%2Fjulia%2Fcommit%2F1b6efc7ab297b7b8aea4d7cb0b52fb589392042b\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNF-_amDY-5YpehUyWI8mFudLx8x-A&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FJuliaLang%2Fjulia%2Fcommit%2F1b6efc7ab297b7b8aea4d7cb0b52fb589392042b\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNF-_amDY-5YpehUyWI8mFudLx8x-A&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/commit/1b6efc7ab297b7b8aea4d7cb0b52fb589392042b it wasn't possible to deprecate bindings — only deprecated methods would display warnings.  Those types were already "deprecated" but nobody knew since they weren't noisy.  Even String was still occasionally used base Julia.