Google Summer of Code: Random number generator, the mentor search

Google Summer of Code: Random number generator, the mentor search

Huma Milisic
Hello, I am a first year master student at Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. As a bait for potential mentors I offer you:
  • decent c++ skills
  • a trivial implementation of bfs using cuda
  • pet project, porting of a delphi fractal generator into c++
  • passed uni courses: Maths for engineers 1 and 2, Discrete Maths, Intro to Operations research (linear programing, assignation, transport problems)
  • current uni courses: Resource Optimization ( genetic algorithms, knapsack problems etc), Operations research (integer programing etc)
  • https://github.com/HumaMilisic

Why a random number generator? A few weeks into the cuda bfs project we hit a dead end. There was still enough time to pick a different topic in case the dead end didn't clear. A simple random generator seemed doable and interesting enough. The dead end cleared but I'm still itching to create one.

From the suggested aims, the "High-quality Julia implementations of PRNG algorithms such as the xorshift family, seeking possible low-level optimisations along the way" is the one I'm interested in. I'm looking over the content of the site linked and will suggest an attack plan when I'm done.

Re: Google Summer of Code: Random number generator, the mentor search

Mike Innes
Hey Huma,

Great to see your interest – I think as a next step it'd be good to perhaps start working on the attack plan and a small prototype, and maybe also take a look at the various RNG-related issues in Base Julia.

FYI, we've relaxed the guidelines a bit and finding a mentor isn't essential – I suggest really solidifying your proposal as a main priority. (Though getting involved with those currently working on Julia RNGs will probably help with that too.)

Cheers,
Mike

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 at 19:24 Huma Milisic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From the suggested aims, the "High-quality Julia implementations of PRNG algorithms such as the xorshift family, seeking possible low-level optimisations along the way" is the one I'm interested in. I'm looking over the content of the site linked and will suggest an attack plan when I'm done.