Google summer of code 2016

awanish das
Hi,

I am interested in working on one of the ideas on the page - Calling Julia from PythonI am a sophomore at IIT Patna,India and my major is Computer Science. I would rate my competency level in c and python as intermediate, though I am foreign to Julia. But as the requirement implies that this project will help me familiarize with Julia.

If I could talk to a mentor to discuss more about the idea and the next steps, it would be great. I am excited and looking forward to hear back from you.

Thank you,
Awanish Das
IIT patna
Class of 2018

Re: Google summer of code 2016

Mike Innes
Hey Awanish,

Glad to see your interest – another student recently also showed interest in this project so I'll paste my response here:

---
There's already some work on this over at pyjulia, and it'll probably be relevant to take a look at PyCall.jl as well. I recommend starting out by taking a look over those packages and seeing what issues they have and where they can be improved. I'm sure you'd also be welcome to open issues where you need to ask for help or start discussion. That'll help you get to grips with things and introduce you to potential mentors as well.
---

Thanks,
Mike

IIT patna
Class of 2018

Re: Google summer of code 2016

awanish das
So i played with IJulia and used the packages to call julia functions to be used in python, but how to create a package that imports julia fuctions i.e. separated out as a real python package without using the interactive environment provided by IJulia or jupyter .

Like ctypes which is a foreign function library for python.It provides C compatible data types ,and allows calling functions in DLLs or shared libraries

   i  was thinking to wrap the julia files like ctypes module to wrap in python,well someone guide me through this.

Re: Google summer of code 2016

Mike Innes
There's some info on calling Julia from C here : http://docs.julialang.org/en/release-0.4/manual/embedding/

You can use this to embed Julia in Python, then I think you need to load PyCall.jl in Julia to do the data marshalling. Did you check out the pyjulia implementation at all?

As im in the phase of writing a proposal ,i want to know about the project deliverables and how am i going to complete the project .Also i want someone to guide me through the
  thing about the timeline should i draft it to the mailing list for feedback.One thing more will there be any time given to append the proposal once submitted?

Re: Google summer of code 2016

Mike Innes

At this point it's quite late to be getting further feedback, and unfortunately the deadline is very much final (this is enforced by Google's system so we can't give any leeway). I suggest thinking carefully about what you'd be able to complete during the summer and writing that up.

As im in the phase of writing a proposal ,i want to know about the project deliverables and how am i going to complete the project .Also i want someone to guide me through the
  thing about the timeline should i draft it to the mailing list for feedback.One thing more will there be any time given to append the proposal once submitted?

Re: Google summer of code 2016

awanish das
I want to ask few questions:

1-Who will be mentoring calling Julia from python.

2-Idon't know whether i will be selected or not but still i want to work on this project so i want to know how to contribute from now only and if i get select this contribution may help me.

3-I have seen the code of PyCall.jl but im not able to understand how it's used with pyjulia can someone guide me through this.

4-As i have submitted my proposal if i contribute more in the coming days how should i let u people know ?

Thanks
Awanish

Re: Google summer of code 2016

Isaiah Norton
3-I have seen the code of PyCall.jl but im not able to understand how it's used with pyjulia can someone guide me through this.

PyCall is used to create python objects (in C, "PyObject*", defined in the Python headers), just as would be created via the CPython C API (or by the Python interpreter for that matter). These are then handed off to the Python interpreter, which treats them like any other object. The code to read first is the implementation of 'eval' in pyjulia.

To understand how it all fits together at the Python level, read the CPython C API documentation:

Awanish

Re: Google summer of code 2016

awanish das
Thanks isaiah for PyCall.jl link but i still want to know who will be mentoring
 Calling Julia from Python please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks and cheers
 awanish

Re: Google summer of code 2016

awanish das
I don't know whether i will be selected or not but i'll like to know what should i do untill 22 april so that it may help me in my project.
   And please I desperately  want to know who will be mentoring.

Re: Google summer of code 2016

Mike Innes
Sorry, but since we haven't allocated mentors yet that isn't possible.

We've mentioned some things above which would help to strengthen your proposal, namely looking at existing work and contributing. Above all, showing us that you can put in the independent effort and write decent code will be a big help.