Interested in Formatting tool for Julia [for GSoC 2016]

Interested in Formatting tool for Julia [for GSoC 2016]

Ayush Mishra
Hey Everyone, I am a third year student Computer Science student at IIIT Hyderabad.
I am specifically interested in the project - Autoformat tool for Julia, I find it quite interesting to work on for full summer.

I am new to Julia, and I am definitely not proficient with it yet and still exploring it. I have experience of over 3 years in C++ and 5 years in PHP. I have comfortably done many projects in Python, Java as well.  I am also interested in research, and my primary research topic is around refactoring.

Can any mentor help me understand the scope of this project? And what's expected as deliverable in the end.
I would also like to discuss the design of such a tool.

Thanks!
Ayush Mishra

Re: Interested in Formatting tool for Julia [for GSoC 2016]

Mike Innes
Hey Ayush,

Glad to see your interest! I think the rough design idea for this tool is to have a parser for Julia (perhaps based on JuliaParser.jl) that preserves information like comments and formatting from the source code. Then you just need to be able to emit that parsed AST in a nicely formatted way (`Expr`s already do this to a point but can't do all of it) and you have an autoformat tool. Of course, you may well have better ideas than that, and it'd be great to have a solid proposal on this topic.

In terms of scope and deliverables, it's largely up to you to determine what makes sense. Maybe the above is a week's work, maybe it's only just doable over the summer – let us know how you plan to fill the time as part of the proposal. We're pretty flexible in terms of what gets done as long as it seems well-thought-out.

Cheers,
Mike