Problem loading Images module

Andrew Gibb
Hi,

I get the following error:

julia> using Images
ERROR: syntax: invalid assignment location
 in include at ./boot.jl:245
 in include_from_node1 at ./loading.jl:128
 in include at ./boot.jl:245
 in include_from_node1 at ./loading.jl:128
 in reload_path at loading.jl:152
 in _require at loading.jl:67
 in require at loading.jl:51
while loading /Users/andrewg/.julia/v0.3/Images/src/ioformats/OSXnative.jl, in expression starting on line 8
while loading /Users/andrewg/.julia/v0.3/Images/src/Images.jl, in expression starting on line 39

having just done
$ make cleanall
$ make -j 4 USE_SYSTEM_BLAS=1

I got the same results without the USE_SYSTEM_BLAS flag. I've tried the advice from the Images module readme to comment out a line from Images/src/io.jl, which appears to have no effect on this error. The OS, my julia source (master branch) and homebrew imagemagick etc are all up to date.

Is there something I can do to remedy this, or shall I file an issue?

I also noticed that the error message I've copied above only appears on the first invocation of "using Images" at the REPL. further invocations fail silently. Is this intended behaviour?

Thanks

Andy

Re: Problem loading Images module

Tim Holy
I don't have a Mac to test on, so others will hopefully be more useful. But
here's an explanation of what you're seeing:

- The error is being triggered when the package is first loaded. The reason
commenting out those lines didn't fix it is that they only affect whether it's
used when you read an image.
- Saying using Images a second time won't print an error, because it doesn't
reload the package---since Images is already defined, using Images just brings
in the existing namespace. If you say reload("Images") then you should be able
to trigger the error again.

If you want to try to fix this yourself, I'd recommend commenting out sections
of io/OSXnative.jl and saying reload("Images") until you isolate the
problematic line(s).

--Tim

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 02:23:26 AM Andrew Gibb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I get the following error:
>
> julia> using Images
> ERROR: syntax: invalid assignment location
>  in include at ./boot.jl:245
>  in include_from_node1 at ./loading.jl:128
>  in include at ./boot.jl:245
>  in include_from_node1 at ./loading.jl:128
>  in reload_path at loading.jl:152
>  in _require at loading.jl:67
>  in require at loading.jl:51
> while loading /Users/andrewg/.julia/v0.3/Images/src/ioformats/OSXnative.jl,
> in expression starting on line 8
> while loading /Users/andrewg/.julia/v0.3/Images/src/Images.jl, in
> expression starting on line 39
>
> having just done
> $ make cleanall
> $ make -j 4 USE_SYSTEM_BLAS=1
>
> I got the same results without the USE_SYSTEM_BLAS flag. I've tried the
> advice from the Images module readme to comment out a line from
> Images/src/io.jl, which appears to have no effect on this error. The OS, my
> julia source (master branch) and homebrew imagemagick etc are all up to
> date.
>
> Is there something I can do to remedy this, or shall I file an issue?
>
> I also noticed that the error message I've copied above only appears on the
> first invocation of "using Images" at the REPL. further invocations fail
> silently. Is this intended behaviour?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

Re: Problem loading Images module

Tim Holy
Also, it's always fine to open an issue; those of us who get ~300 julia-related
emails a day can easily miss a post, but an issue has permanence and will
eventually get noticed.

I opened one for you here: https://github.com/timholy/Images.jl/issues/128

--Tim

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 02:23:26 AM Andrew Gibb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I get the following error:
>
> julia> using Images
> ERROR: syntax: invalid assignment location
>  in include at ./boot.jl:245
>  in include_from_node1 at ./loading.jl:128
>  in include at ./boot.jl:245
>  in include_from_node1 at ./loading.jl:128
>  in reload_path at loading.jl:152
>  in _require at loading.jl:67
>  in require at loading.jl:51
> while loading /Users/andrewg/.julia/v0.3/Images/src/ioformats/OSXnative.jl,
> in expression starting on line 8
> while loading /Users/andrewg/.julia/v0.3/Images/src/Images.jl, in
> expression starting on line 39
>
> having just done
> $ make cleanall
> $ make -j 4 USE_SYSTEM_BLAS=1
>
> I got the same results without the USE_SYSTEM_BLAS flag. I've tried the
> advice from the Images module readme to comment out a line from
> Images/src/io.jl, which appears to have no effect on this error. The OS, my
> julia source (master branch) and homebrew imagemagick etc are all up to
> date.
>
> Is there something I can do to remedy this, or shall I file an issue?
>
> I also noticed that the error message I've copied above only appears on the
> first invocation of "using Images" at the REPL. further invocations fail
> silently. Is this intended behaviour?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

Re: Problem loading Images module

ron.s.rock
Yes, that's my fault, I should have run the tests one last time.  I fixed it and tagged a new version (0.2.47) a few ours ago, hoping no one would notice.  A `Pkg.update()` should fix it for you.

Re: Problem loading Images module

Andrew Gibb
I see. Yes, that fixed it. But I learned quite a bit about github and julia in the meantime. :)
I've noted the fix in the github issue.