Re : GSoC 2016 Project - Matrix Functions

Re : GSoC 2016 Project - Matrix Functions

Kaustubh Hiware
Hello !
I am Kaustubh Hiware , a sophomore at Indian Institute of Technology , Kharagpur , majoring in Computer Science and Engineering . I am highly interested in taking up Matrix functions as a project for my GSoC application . I saw a video once regarding Taylor series expansion using Julia , and I was strongly impressed , as I had planned to work on similar lines.The video made me realize the strength as well as the potential of Julia .

I have coding experience in C, C++, Java <frequently>, along with some experience in HTML and CSS . Though I am new to Julia , I am making all efforts to grasp it the best I can. This project in specific grabbed my attention as I enjoy Maths and I realized many functions could be added , which are currently not supported .Also  ,I went through a lot of issues raised by the user community. I will try to contribute to the same as early as possible .(I haven't contributed to open source much , but this won't be my first time).I would be glad if anyone associated with Julia could guide me  over the following things :

1. What is expected from your side , in context to this project ?# <I know Julia has 1-indexing , not 0>

2.How do I contact the mentors to clear certain doubts ?

Regards,
Kaustubh Hiware.

Re: Re : GSoC 2016 Project - Matrix Functions

Shashi Gowda

Hi kaustubh,

Hope you're having fun learning Julia.

> 1. What is expected from your side , in context to this project ?# <I know Julia has 1-indexing , not 0>

A good way to get yourself learning fast is contributing to projects and packages that interest you. Most of the Julia ecosystem lives on github, so getting familiar with github will help as you continue working. You can also join julia-users Google group to get involved in discussions and to ask your questions. Getting involved and contributing by way of discussion and/or code will reinforce your application.

> 2.How do I contact the mentors to clear certain doubts ?

You can write to the julia-users mailing list, or open issues on the respective project's github page.

On Tue 8 Mar, 2016, 7:19 AM Kaustubh Hiware, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply !

I will make a note of it , and I have already started to work on some of these things .

Re: Re : GSoC 2016 Project - Matrix Functions

Kaustubh Hiware
Something which is confusing me right now  is should I be working on JuliaLang/julia repository  or JuliaDiff/ForwardDiff.jl for adding matrix functions ?

The reason why I am asking this is , jiahao who had posted issue #5840 , for the addition of matrix functions contributes to the first one , wheres jrevels ,who did his project last year contributed to JuliaDiff.

Can someone please clear this out for me?

Re: Re : GSoC 2016 Project - Matrix Functions

Mike Innes
I'm no expert myself but I think it's unlikely that you'd do matrix-related work with ForwardDiff.jl, which is aimed at doing automatic differentiation. The functions pointed out in that issue would probably belong in Base Julia, but could also start out as a package.

If you want to make a start implementing some of that functionality, commenting on that issue or opening a new one with a proposal would probably be the best way forward.