Re: Setting up Julia on Ubuntu 12.04

Tobias Grosser
On 03/02/2016 09:59 PM, karthik senthil wrote:

> Hey Tobias,
>
> Some relevant error lines from the log file -
>
> CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1014230072.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o:CheckFunctionExists.c:function
> main: error: undefined reference to 'qsort_s'
>
> /usr/bin/ld.gold.real: error: cannot find -lpthreads
> CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1151233699.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o:CheckFunctionExists.c:function
> main: error: undefined reference to 'pthread_create'
>

> I have also attached the file along with this email.

Karthik,

thanks for posting this public. I am currently traveling, so I can not
try this out, but maybe you can already try to investigate this issue
yourself a little.

Here some ideas:

Is the absence of pthread actually an issue? cmake is just testing for
the availability of these functions and sets an option if they are
unavailable. Hence, these errors may not be directly related to the
cmake errors you see?

I would suggest to specifically look for libcurl and libssl2 related
errors. If the main issue is the absence of libcurl and libssl2, I would
first check if these libraries are installed. For libssh you could
install it with: sudo apt-get install libssh2-1-dev
On my system there are various libcurl-dev modules that I could install.

Also probably not the main problem, but ubuntu 12.04 seems a little old.
You may consider updating to the latest long-term release.

Best,
Tobias

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016, at 10:20 AM, karthik senthil wrote:

> Hey Tobias,
>
> I investigated further on this issue by looking up some common errors in
> the libgit2 library. I found many suggestions online but couldn't
> determine
> a working solution.
>

> Also, I have both libcurl and libssh2 libraries installed. I suspect that
> cmake is not looking at the right location for these modules. I will
> investigate further about this and get back to you if I find a solution.

Thanks for looking yourself into this further.

> And regarding 12.04, I have many development environments for my other
> projects setup on this OS. I was planning to upgrade soon when I'm done
> with some of my projects.

You could try to use virtualbox and install a newer linux version there.
This would help to understand if this issue is related to this older
julia version. I just started a new from-scratch compilation with Ubuntu
Wily (15.10) to see if I see the same issue.

Best,
Tobias

On 03/08/2016 09:28 PM, karthik senthil wrote:

> Hey Tobias,
>
> I tried looking up the issue regarding Ubuntu 12.04 and Cmake error for
> libssh2 and libcurl, but couldn't find any relevant and working solution
> for it. I couldn't find any explanations regarding the path and location
> problems for search by Cmake too.
>
> So I'm kind of stagnant now about experimenting Julia+Polly.
>
> Did Julia build clean on 15.10 ? I have setup 14.04 on a virtualbox on
> my machine. I will try installing Julia on it soon to check if this
> issue is only for 12.04.

I remember having gotten some errors recently as well, but just tried a
recent checkout of Julia.

With 8a54ed505b1da52abc1707390089db46ad207157 and
make OPENBLAS_TARGET_ARCH=NEHALEM OPENBLAS_USE_THREAD=0

julia compiles without problems for me.

Best,
Tobias