Southern California Julia users?

Jim Garrison
Hi there,

I am quite excited about Julia and am considering organizing a Julia Meetup group (or otherwise) in Southern California.  I live in Santa Barbara, but I'm betting it will be easier to find a critical mass of people in Los Angeles first.  Please get in touch if you are interested and/or willing to help out.  Or, if there is already a similar effort underway, please let me know.

-- Jim

Re: Southern California Julia users?

Stefan Karpinski
Viral and I met in grad school at UCSB – it's cool that there might be a Santa Barbara Julia Meetup soon!

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Jim Garrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

I am quite excited about Julia and am considering organizing a Julia Meetup group (or otherwise) in Southern California.  I live in Santa Barbara, but I'm betting it will be easier to find a critical mass of people in Los Angeles first.  Please get in touch if you are interested and/or willing to help out.  Or, if there is already a similar effort underway, please let me know.

-- Jim

Re: Southern California Julia users?

c.d. mclean
Gauchos.

i am not one ... but, mentally,
this happens

julia> UCSB == GAUCHOS
true

later,

cdm

Re: Southern California Julia users?

Kevin Squire
Hi Jim,

I'm in LA, which isn't quite Santa Barbara (I like SB better), but is within striking distance.  I know that there are some users at UCLA (I was there until earlier this year), but I'm not sure how active they are.

I'd also be happy to know of other users in the area, and would be willing to help with an LA meetup (or an SB one on a weekend, with some advanced notice).

Cheers!
   Kevin

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM, cdm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gauchos.

i am not one ... but, mentally,
this happens

julia> UCSB == GAUCHOS
true

later,

cdm

Re: Southern California Julia users?

Amuthan A. Ramabathiran
Hello: I live in Pasadena and I would be very happy to meet any julia users near LA or SB.

Cheers,
Amuthan

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Kevin Squire <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ytS6vB96cf8J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">kevin....@...> wrote:
Hi Jim,

I'm in LA, which isn't quite Santa Barbara (I like SB better), but is within striking distance.  I know that there are some users at UCLA (I was there until earlier this year), but I'm not sure how active they are.

I'd also be happy to know of other users in the area, and would be willing to help with an LA meetup (or an SB one on a weekend, with some advanced notice).

Cheers!
   Kevin

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM, cdm <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ytS6vB96cf8J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">cdmcle...@...> wrote:
Gauchos.

i am not one ... but, mentally,
this happens

julia> UCSB == GAUCHOS
true

later,

cdm

Re: Southern California Julia users?

Rob J. Goedman
Can I throw SD (San Diego) in the mix?

Regards,
Rob J. Goedman

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Kevin Squire <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ytS6vB96cf8J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;" class="">kevin....@...> wrote:
Hi Jim,

I'm in LA, which isn't quite Santa Barbara (I like SB better), but is within striking distance.  I know that there are some users at UCLA (I was there until earlier this year), but I'm not sure how active they are.

I'd also be happy to know of other users in the area, and would be willing to help with an LA meetup (or an SB one on a weekend, with some advanced notice).

Cheers!
   Kevin

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM, cdm <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ytS6vB96cf8J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;" class="">cdmcle...@...> wrote:
Gauchos.

i am not one ... but, mentally,
this happens

julia> UCSB == GAUCHOS
true

later,

cdm

Re: Southern California Julia users?

Joshua Job
I'm at USC, and this would be very cool.

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:23:17 AM UTC-7, Jim Garrison wrote:
Hi there,

I am quite excited about Julia and am considering organizing a Julia Meetup group (or otherwise) in Southern California.  I live in Santa Barbara, but I'm betting it will be easier to find a critical mass of people in Los Angeles first.  Please get in touch if you are interested and/or willing to help out.  Or, if there is already a similar effort underway, please let me know.

-- Jim

Re: Southern California Julia users?

Ivan Raikov
Hello,

   I will be starting a postdoc at UCI on December 1, and I would be interested in joining a Julia users' group.
Thanks,

  -Ivan

-- Jim

-- Jim

Re: Southern California Julia users?

c.d. mclean

depending on who is talking,
i will catch the Coast Starlight
for some NorCal representation ...

cdm

Re: Southern California Julia users?

eric l
Sounds good, I am in SD but work in Orange County. Let us know when you create the Julia meetup, thanks.

Re: Southern California Julia users?

Jim Garrison
OK, the SoCal Julia Users group now exists at http://www.meetup.com/Southern-California-Julia-Users/

I'm hoping to have the first event be in Los Angeles, but I will need to find a venue.  If anybody has ideas or is willing to help with that, please send me a note.