git:// URLs in deps/Makefile

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

git:// URLs in deps/Makefile

Lachlan Gunn
Hello all,

What would the feeling be towards changing the Git repository URLs in the build system from git:// to $GIT_PROTO or something similar?  I'm currently needing to maintain my own copy of this file due to firewall issues, so if such a change would be considered acceptable then I'd like to go ahead and submit a pull request.

Thanks,
Lachlan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: git:// URLs in deps/Makefile

Isaiah Norton
That would probably be ok, but you should be able to get around the issue with the setting described here:

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Lachlan Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

What would the feeling be towards changing the Git repository URLs in the build system from git:// to $GIT_PROTO or something similar?  I'm currently needing to maintain my own copy of this file due to firewall issues, so if such a change would be considered acceptable then I'd like to go ahead and submit a pull request.

Thanks,
Lachlan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: git:// URLs in deps/Makefile

Lachlan Gunn
Ah, true that.  Personally I would prefer to have a configuration option in the build system to avoid the need for system-wide overrides (people might have local git repos after all), but since Julia has reached 0.4 without an option I'm clearly the odd one out in being bothered by this.  Making it a configuration option also gives the opportunity to autodetect, which would ideally help reduce surprises for people like me.

Thanks,
Lachlan

On Wednesday, 4 November 2015 20:30:26 UTC+1, Isaiah wrote:
That would probably be ok, but you should be able to get around the issue with the setting described here:
<a href="https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/master/README.md#source-download-and-compilation" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FJuliaLang%2Fjulia%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2FREADME.md%23source-download-and-compilation\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNFaeH1Q9d7CwASZ0t535ZXfUvUvwA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FJuliaLang%2Fjulia%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2FREADME.md%23source-download-and-compilation\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNFaeH1Q9d7CwASZ0t535ZXfUvUvwA&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/master/README.md#source-download-and-compilation

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Lachlan Gunn <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="XKxIBTK8AQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">lac...@...> wrote:
Hello all,

What would the feeling be towards changing the Git repository URLs in the build system from git:// to $GIT_PROTO or something similar?  I'm currently needing to maintain my own copy of this file due to firewall issues, so if such a change would be considered acceptable then I'd like to go ahead and submit a pull request.

Thanks,
Lachlan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: git:// URLs in deps/Makefile

Yichao Yu
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Lachlan Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah, true that.  Personally I would prefer to have a configuration option in
> the build system to avoid the need for system-wide overrides (people might
> have local git repos after all), but since Julia has reached 0.4 without an
> option I'm clearly the odd one out in being bothered by this.  Making it a
> configuration option also gives the opportunity to autodetect, which would
> ideally help reduce surprises for people like me.
>

You can use the GIT_CONFIG environment variable

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html#_environment

> Thanks,
> Lachlan
>
> On Wednesday, 4 November 2015 20:30:26 UTC+1, Isaiah wrote:
>>
>> That would probably be ok, but you should be able to get around the issue
>> with the setting described here:
>>
>> https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/master/README.md#source-download-and-compilation
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Lachlan Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> What would the feeling be towards changing the Git repository URLs in the
>>> build system from git:// to $GIT_PROTO or something similar?  I'm currently
>>> needing to maintain my own copy of this file due to firewall issues, so if
>>> such a change would be considered acceptable then I'd like to go ahead and
>>> submit a pull request.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lachlan
>>
>>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: git:// URLs in deps/Makefile

Yichao Yu
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Yichao Yu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Lachlan Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ah, true that.  Personally I would prefer to have a configuration option in
>> the build system to avoid the need for system-wide overrides (people might
>> have local git repos after all), but since Julia has reached 0.4 without an
>> option I'm clearly the odd one out in being bothered by this.  Making it a
>> configuration option also gives the opportunity to autodetect, which would
>> ideally help reduce surprises for people like me.
>>
>
> You can use the GIT_CONFIG environment variable
>
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html#_environment

Actually it seems that it doens't work for any command other than
git-config and the workaround is to set HOME .....
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Overriding-gitconfig-using-GIT-CONFIG-td6680977.html

>
>> Thanks,
>> Lachlan
>>
>> On Wednesday, 4 November 2015 20:30:26 UTC+1, Isaiah wrote:
>>>
>>> That would probably be ok, but you should be able to get around the issue
>>> with the setting described here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/master/README.md#source-download-and-compilation
>>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Lachlan Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hello all,
>>>>
>>>> What would the feeling be towards changing the Git repository URLs in the
>>>> build system from git:// to $GIT_PROTO or something similar?  I'm currently
>>>> needing to maintain my own copy of this file due to firewall issues, so if
>>>> such a change would be considered acceptable then I'd like to go ahead and
>>>> submit a pull request.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Lachlan
>>>
>>>
>>