Quantcast

include header files for large libs?

Jeffrey Sarnoff
As an example, I have a package that uses a C library which depends on the presence of libgmp and libmpfr, both of which are large and come with Julia.  On my Linux,  libgmp.so and libmpfr.so are found in /usr/local/lib/julia/. If libgmp.h and libmpfr.h were found in /usr/local/include/julia, then I would not need to install duplicates or go through machinations to determine which version of each is in use and find the appropriate headers.

Re: include header files for large libs?

Andreas Lobinger
Hello colleague,

there were discussions before, if and how many external tools julia should ship with on certain platforms (like git on windows...) and one clear message was "Julia is not a distribution mechanism for X". There might be reasons, why your julia installation on your linux box includes certain .so-s but actually local lib builds in julia should be the special case (I'm building LLVM, which takes quite some time). If you need a certain library as infrastructure, you need to take care it exists.

there were discussions before, if and how many external tools julia should ship with on certain platforms (like git on windows...) and one clear message was "Julia is not a distribution mechanism for X". There might be reasons, why your julia installation on your linux box includes certain .so-s but actually local lib builds in julia should be the special case (I'm building LLVM, which takes quite some time). If you need a certain library as infrastructure, you need to take care it exists.

Re: include header files for large libs?

Scott Jones
I think that would be rather problematical, as those are source files, which might cause licensing issues for Julia, as the GMP and MPFR libraries are under the LGPL.