package reproducibility

Kevin Kunzmann
Hey,

I was just wondering whether Julia has a checkpoint-like functionality (R checkpoint-package) for using a specific checkpoint of the package ecosystem. With quick development happening this would improve reproducibility drastically.

Best,

Kevin

Re: package reproducibility

Tim Wheeler
Hi Kevin,

You can use Pkg.pin("Stats",v"0.2.5").

-Tim

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 9:24:14 AM UTC+2, Kevin Kunzmann wrote:
Hey,

I was just wondering whether Julia has a checkpoint-like functionality (<a href="https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/checkpoint/index.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fcran.r-project.org%2Fweb%2Fpackages%2Fcheckpoint%2Findex.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGg0uTq7kjnXuvS40lddvCeZUmNow&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fcran.r-project.org%2Fweb%2Fpackages%2Fcheckpoint%2Findex.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGg0uTq7kjnXuvS40lddvCeZUmNow&#39;;return true;">R checkpoint-package) for using a specific checkpoint of the package ecosystem. With quick development happening this would improve reproducibility drastically.

Best,

Kevin

Re: package reproducibility

Steven G. Johnson
Since all Julia packages are managed via git, it would be easy to write a tool that collects all of the commits of the current packages into a list so that you can install the same commits on another system.  I don't think there is an existing tool that automates this, though?

Re: package reproducibility

Robin Deits
For my own work, I'm using a simple tool that I wrote: https://github.com/rdeits/juliet which allows you to specify git URLs and commit SHAs inside your REQUIRE file. Internally, it just uses Julia's built-in Pkg module to do most of the work, but automates checking out the specified revision of any unpublished packages.

-Robin

Le vendredi 28 octobre 2016 à 00:24 -0700, Kevin Kunzmann a écrit :
> Hey,
>
> I was just wondering whether Julia has a checkpoint-like
> functionality (R checkpoint-package) for using a specific checkpoint
> of the package ecosystem. With quick development happening this would
> improve reproducibility drastically.
FWIW, this is one of the main features planned for the next version of
the package management system (codenamed Pkg3). These would be called
"environments".

Re: package reproducibility

Derek Gaston
A little late to the party... but has there been any thought to using Git submodules to help with version dependencies between packages?

I know that Git submodules often have a bad reputation... but the project I run (MOOSE: http://mooseframework.org ) has been using them for exactly this purpose for a few years now and it's been working very well.

Just tossing it out there ;-)

Derek

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 6:26 PM Milan Bouchet-Valat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le vendredi 28 octobre 2016 à 00:24 -0700, Kevin Kunzmann a écrit :
> Hey,
>
> I was just wondering whether Julia has a checkpoint-like
> functionality (R checkpoint-package) for using a specific checkpoint
> of the package ecosystem. With quick development happening this would
> improve reproducibility drastically.
FWIW, this is one of the main features planned for the next version of
the package management system (codenamed Pkg3). These would be called
"environments".

Regards